Skip to content

Massachusetts cities and towns are eligible to receive funds from the Massachusetts Attorney General’s (AG’s) settlement cases with opioid industry defendants. For more specific information, please see the AG’s publication on this site.

In particular, these documents from the AG’s office might be helpful.

QHSUA and Hampshire Hope also have put together an overview for the abatement funds, which you can download by clicking here.

Municipal Opioid Abatement Funds Data Dashboard is available for folks to learn about how money is being spent on this project. Check it out by clicking here.


For towns within the QHSUA region, we have created an Excel document showing the total estimated amount of funds allocated per town per year, through 2038. To download, click on: QHSUA Est Max Abatement Payments by Year

Municipalities that receive funds over $35,000 per year are required to report on their expenditures every year.

Here is what the report form looks like.

Here is a guide on how to use the reporting tool – click here to download PDF

We also recommend these materials from MAHB and KP Law on how to set up a stabilization account or appropriate funds at Annual Town Meeting or City Council. To view the resources, click on the link below.

Not sure where to start?

The Commonwealth and its municipalities have a shared commitment to using abatement funds recovered from statewide opioid settlements to supplement and strengthen resources available to Massachusetts communities and families for substance use disorder prevention, harm reduction, treatment, and recovery. See the entire suggested approach in our PDF slide presented at the Ware Select Board meeting on 09-19-2023.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA, who is one of our funders)  has an evidenced-based resource center, available at this link.

Also, according to DPH: Massachusetts municipalities can access support from John Snow Research and Training Institute (JSI) at and fill out the Request Help form or by emailing or by phone (617-385-3655). The team at JSI can provide technical assistance and training related to using these funds in compliance with the State-Subdivision Agreement. (See more here at DPH’s website)

Also, Mass Municipal Association (MMA) may be helpful, view their webpage here.